Here’s another edition of “Dear Sophie,” the guidance column that addresses immigration-related questions about working at technology companies.

“Your questions are vital to the spread of knowledge that enables people all over the world to rise above borders and pursue their dreams,” states Sophie Alcorn, a Silicon Valley immigration lawyer.”Whether you remain in people ops, a founder or seeking a job in Silicon Valley, I would like to address your concerns in my next column.”

“Dear Sophie” columns are available for Bonus Crunch customers; use promo code ALCORN to buy a one- or two-year subscription for 50% off.

Dear Sophie:

My spouse’s start-up is transferring her to the U.S. to help establish a workplace there. Will I have the ability to opt for her and work in the U.S.? For how long will it consider me to get a work allow? For how long will we have the ability to remain?

— Hopeful in Hyderabad

Dear Hopeful:

Congratulations on starting an exciting brand-new experience with your household. U.S. migration law permits visa holders to bring their partner and dependent kids with them to the U.S. and you can have a look at this podcast on the topic. Dependent children are defined as kids who are under the age of 21 and unmarried. Whether the spouse can get a work permit, which is called a Work Permission Document (EAD), depends upon which dependent visa the spouse gets.

Article curated by RJ Shara from Source. RJ Shara is a Bay Area Radio Host (Radio Jockey) who talks about the startup ecosystem – entrepreneurs, investments, policies and more on her show The Silicon Dreams. The show streams on Radio Zindagi 1170AM on Mondays from 3.30 PM to 4 PM.