Here’s another edition of “Dear Sophie,” the recommendations column that answers immigration-related concerns about working at technology business.

“Your questions are crucial to the spread of understanding that allows individuals all over the world to rise above borders and pursue their dreams,” states Sophie Alcorn, a Silicon Valley immigration lawyer. “Whether you’re in individuals ops, a creator or looking for a job in Silicon Valley, I would enjoy to address your questions in my next column.”

“Dear Sophie” columns are accessible for Extra Crunch subscribers; usage promotion code ALCORN to acquire a one- or two-year membership for 50% off.

Dear Sophie:

I’m entering my second year in the U.S. under a five-year J-1 research study visa from Italy. When we came we believed it would be short-term, but our strategies have actually changed and now we wish to try to remain in the U.S. My other half began his own company here on his J-2 visa work authorization, and our child was born here. We’re expected to return to Italy for 2 years. How can we get a 212(e) waiver?

— Favorable in Palo Alto

Dear Favorable:

Congrats on your accomplishments– the birth of your child, your research position and your spouse’s startup. Delighted to share about the J-1 visa, the two-year house residency requirement (an area of the law called “212(e)”) and getting a waiver so you can look for a permit or another kind of visa. For more background, have a look at my podcast on the two-year foreign residency requirement and filing a waiver and recentlies’ Dear Sophie column with an overview of the types of J-1 visas. The earlier you begin preparing your waiver application, the better.

The J-1 Educational and Cultural Exchange Visa is meant for people from around the world to work or study in the U.S. and after that take their freshly gotten knowledge and abilities back to their house nation. Considered that, it is not a direct path if you decide after your arrival to stay longer term in the U.S. I suggest dealing with a skilled migration lawyer to develop a technique for reaching your objectives beyond getting a waiver. I also advise talking with your company to examine whether they can later sponsor you for a green card.

Article curated by RJ Shara from Source. RJ Shara is a Bay Area Radio Host (Radio Jockey) who talks about the startup ecosystem – entrepreneurs, investments, policies and more on her show The Silicon Dreams. The show streams on Radio Zindagi 1170AM on Mondays from 3.30 PM to 4 PM.