Here’s another edition of “Dear Sophie,” the recommendations column from a practicing lawyer that responds to immigration questions about operating at innovation companies.

“Your questions are vital to the spread of understanding that enables individuals all over the world to rise above borders and pursue their dreams,” says Sophie Alcorn, a Silicon Valley immigration attorney. “Whether you remain in individuals ops, a creator or seeking a job in Silicon Valley, I would enjoy to address your questions in my next column.”

Bonus Crunch members receive access to weekly “Dear Sophie” columns; use promo code ALCORN to purchase a one- or two-year membership for 50% off.

Dear Sophie:

I’m presently here in the U.S. on an E-2 visa.

My company, a company based in Slovakia, moved me to the U.S. to assist establish our U.S. operations. What are my options if I wish to search for other job chances here in the U.S. with a different business? Is there a possible procedure to update my E-2 visa to another type, like an L? Thank you!

— Agitated in Redwood City

Dear Restless,

Thanks for your concerns. Nonimmigrant (short-term) visas that permit you to operate in the U.S. require a company to sponsor you for the visa, and those visas stay tied to the company sponsor and the position for which you were hired. We just recently introduced the Remarkable Ability Bootcamp (promotion code DEARSOPHIE for 20% off registration)– this is a class that can assist you enhance your qualifications if you wind up pursuing an O-1A visa, which I’ll go over more about below.

There are a couple of visa alternatives offered if you discover a U.S. business willing to sponsor you such as H-1B, o-1a and j-1, and various permit pathways. You had actually asked about an L Visa, however this would just be a choice if you had actually worked for the new business abroad for at least one year during the past 3 years. Both the L-1A visa and the L-1B visa make it possible for multinational companies to move a manager, executive or specialized knowledge worker from an office abroad to a U.S. office– or to open a workplace in the U.S.– from an office abroad. The L-1A visa for intracompany executive or manager transferees is similar to the E-2 visa because both allow the visa holder to come to the U.S. to establish a brand-new workplace for the sponsoring business.

Article curated by RJ Shara from Source. RJ Shara is a Bay Area Radio Host (Radio Jockey) who talks about the startup ecosystem – entrepreneurs, investments, policies and more on her show The Silicon Dreams. The show streams on Radio Zindagi 1170AM on Mondays from 3.30 PM to 4 PM.