Hey there and welcome back to Equity, TechCrunch’s venture capital-focused podcast, where we unpack the numbers behind the headings. Today we did something fun and different and excellent: a live program! A great variety of people
came, and asked questions, and altogether, it was a blast. Danny, Natasha, and Alex had a charming time with the regular work, while Grace and Chris and Kevin made the whole operation function. We’ll likely post a bonus episode of the Q&A on Saturday if people have an interest in Equity After Hours.
That aside, what did we speak about in a longer-than-usual episode? Here’s the rundown:
- Buzzfeed is going public! Alex wrote about the news here, but the essence is that the media company is combining with a SPAC, buying Complex, and raising some capital at the same time. We have thoughts about it.
- Possibly neobanks will break even? We dug into some fintech news through the viewpoint of some current news from the neobank market.
- MAJORITY raised CASH for migrants to the United States, while MFast, a Vietnamese monetary services app, got some financing of its own amidst the neobank boom.
- Alex interviewed a leading venture capitalist. We talked about that.
- What’s happening with the early-stage equity capital market? That’s something we tried to parse. The gist is that the rapidly-evolving world of buying startups is in the midst of a few trends that deserve understanding. Even if they are a little contradictory.
- A16z tripled down on crypto with a brand-new $2.2 billion fund, offering it an overall of $18.8 billion in possessions under management.
- Edtech leaders rallied around a memo of their own this previous week.
- And after that to close, we raced through a few of our current reporting on a brand-new fund that will purchase American military institute graduates, Figma’s huge new round of capital, and WaitWhat!
.?. !? It’s constantly fun to play around with our program, and thank you to everybody who came out and supported us in our first-ever, but most likely not last-ever, virtual live show. We are back to regular, however, starting Monday.
Article curated by RJ Shara from Source. RJ Shara is a Bay Area Radio Host (Radio Jockey) who talks about the startup ecosystem – entrepreneurs, investments, policies and more on her show The Silicon Dreams. The show streams on Radio Zindagi 1170AM on Mondays from 3.30 PM to 4 PM.