Here’s another edition of “Dear Sophie,” the suggestions column that addresses immigration-related questions about working at innovation companies.

“Your concerns are essential to the spread of knowledge that enables individuals all over the world to increase above borders and pursue their dreams,” states Sophie Alcorn, a Silicon Valley migration lawyer. “Whether you’re in people ops, a creator or seeking a job in Silicon Valley, I would like to answer your questions in my next column.”

“Dear Sophie” columns are accessible for Bonus Crunch subscribers; usage promo code ALCORN to purchase a one- or two-year membership for 50% off.

Dear Sophie:

I work in people ops at a biotech startup. We received an application from a very appealing prospect from Mexico for a task opening we have actually had actually listed for rather some time. Our business has actually never sponsored anybody for a visa. Which type of visa should we pursue, how much will it cost, for how long will it take, and what should we remember while overcoming the process?

— Puzzled in Petaluma

Dear Puzzled,

Thank you for your question! I’m thrilled to hear that your startup is looking to sponsor an international expert for the very first time!

Professionals who are people of either Mexico or Canada may be qualified for a TN (Treaty National) visa. A TN visa holder’s spouse and dependent kids are eligible for a TD (Treaty Dependent) visa.

Article curated by RJ Shara from Source. RJ Shara is a Bay Area Radio Host (Radio Jockey) who talks about the startup ecosystem – entrepreneurs, investments, policies and more on her show The Silicon Dreams. The show streams on Radio Zindagi 1170AM on Mondays from 3.30 PM to 4 PM.